April 5, 2025
zamfara-raid-1024x641

Tension is mounting in Sokoto State following the killing of 16 Hausa hunters in Uromi, Edo State, allegedly by local vigilantes and youths, sparking widespread fear of possible reprisal attacks in the North.

The tragic incident, which occurred last Thursday, has sent shockwaves across the region, prompting panic, business closures, and a noticeable lull in public activities.

By Friday, several areas in Sokoto metropolis, including Bello Way, Emir Yahya Road, Sahara, and Aliyu Jodi, were largely deserted, with most shops under lock and key. Daily Post observed that many commercial hubs remained quiet, reflecting growing apprehension among residents.

While earlier reports suggested that only Igbo-owned businesses were affected, local businessman Buhari Haruna Illelah, who runs a POS service and spare parts shop, clarified that the closure was more widespread.

“The police came and told us to shut our shops and go home. I didn’t see any youth or armed individuals, but I’m currently at home as advised,” he said. Illelah added that warnings of potential attacks by unknown youths prompted many traders to stay indoors.

The shutdown appears to be a precautionary measure aimed at averting any outbreak of violence, as security forces ramp up efforts to maintain order.

Since the Uromi killings became public, concerns have grown that the incident could trigger retaliatory violence in Northern states, particularly in ethnically sensitive areas.

Security agencies are reportedly working around the clock to defuse the tension and prevent any escalation. Civil society groups and community leaders have also stepped in, urging residents to remain calm and allow justice to take its course through lawful channels.

As of press time, no violent protests or clashes had been reported in Sokoto, but the atmosphere remains tense, with heightened security presence in key areas to forestall any unrest.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *